Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Ramen Nagi Experience

Disclaimer and Introduction
This is an experimental blog. Yes, this is the second instalment of my ramen review. Nevertheless, to make things more interesting, I decided to “play” with the blog’s format. The idea just hit me suddenly while I was trying to decide on how to present the next ramen review—and here’s the result.

First off, I would like to introduce the characters of the plot...

NARRATOR: Your typical nameless and faceless narrator. I imagine him to be a “deep voiced” male with a funny and sarcastic attitude.

GEORGE: That’s me!

Ramen Eating Partner or REP: This is no other than my very (very) good friend LIAN who is going to help me again with my ramen house review.

BOTH: Both Lian and I saying the same lines and doing the same actions.

ATTENDANT: The ramen house staff.

Here are some of the Acronyms you might encounter...

SC: It simply means “Side Comments” from me. I just can’t resist commenting on my own words—lol.

BGM: Meaning “Background Music”. Of course there should be one!

The effect of this blog will depend on the reader’s imagination—and I do hope that it will work for most readers out there. To kick start your imagination dear reader, please click the link below where you will be taken to a short YouTube video clip of a Japanese food variety show where you can refer to.


Don’t worry dear reader, the plot faithfully depict the events that happened as we review the ramen house and some of their dishes. The only “unfaithful” part is of course the addition of the “Narrator” and the sequence of some of conversations. To keep the flow of the plot “smoothly” I divided it into three segments: (1) Ramen House Introduction and History, (2) Ambiance and Accommodation, (3) The Ramen Review and (4) Final Verdict.

So then, enough with the introduction! Let’s start!

One...Two...Three...

NARRATOR:
Welcome everybody to another episode of Ramen in Focus! Last time, our hosts dine at the famous Kichitora of Tokyo where they were able taste the famous Paitan Zenbu No Se Pork Ramen. It was also the first time “REP” sampled a ramen dish!

Kichitora of Tokyo's Paitan Zenbu No Se Pork Ramen!

Now George and “REP”, where will be the next ramen house be?!?!

BOTH:
Hello again everybody (bows)! Before we start, we would like to thank the people who supported our first episode! Thank you very much (bows)!

GEORGE:            
I would also like to introduce my “Ramen Eating Partner” or “REP” who was nameless way back in our previous episode! “REP” is no other than my very good friend Lian! Welcome back to the show Lian!

LIAN:                    
Hello guys! Glad to be here! So George, where are we right now?!?!

GEORGE:            
Well, we are here at the front of Ramen Nagi located at Level 5 Sypark Dining, SM Aura Premier, Bonifacio Global, Taguig City!

Front of Ramen Nagi
Ramen Nagi Logo

LIAN:                    
Before we enter, I would like to say that SM Aura Premier is such a beautiful mall (gazes around)! But I think we don’t blend in here at Level 5—the restaurants here are way too “classy” for us (giggles)!

GEORGE:            
Oh c’mon, it’s okay (giggles)! We’re here for the ramen house review—everything will be just fine (gleeful smile)!

NARRATOR:
Ahem.... Before this conversation gets out of hand, may I suggest that we start the show....

BOTH:                  
Oh, okay (gleeful smile)!

NARRATOR:       
Ramen Nagi is the creation of Ramen Master Ikuta Satoshi which first opened their first ramen house in Tokyo, Japan way back in 2006!

Animated version of Ramen Master Ikuta Satoshi!

Since then, their famous ramen has travelled from Hong Kong, Taipei, Indonesia and here in the Philippines! Ramen Nagi is famous for their Butao Ramen or Original King!

Ramen Nagi's story so far....

As you enter and leave the ramen house, restaurant staffs will greet you in Japanese which means “Guests are coming!” and “Guests are leaving!”!

LIAN:                    
Wow, it’s beautiful inside! I like its ambiance (gazes around)!

GEORGE:            
Yeah, me too (gazes around...too)!

Dining Area

LIAN:                    
It feels like we’re in Japan (still gazing)!

GEORGE:            
Yeah (still gazing...too)!

More seats at the other side!

NARRATOR:       
Ramen Nagi uses a simplistic layout of their dining area. Red banners are placed at the top of tables explaining the array of ramen dishes that they offer!



LIAN:                    
Look behind you. There is also a colored version of the red banner at all the tables.

GEORGE:            
Oh, I see (looks behind).


LIAN:                    
It’s lovely that they used their ramen bowls as a wall design! What if they run out of bowls in the kitchen?


GEORGE:            
Oh, I think these are the back-up bowls (both laughs)!

A close-up view of Ramen Nagi's ramen bowl!

NARRATOR:
Guys, please behave....

BOTH:                  
Oh, okay (gleeful smile)!

ATTENDANT:     
What will you have today Sir and Ma’am (smiles while handing down the menu)?

BOTH:                  
(both looks at each other) We have no idea (laughs)!

NARRATOR:       
Oh dear, this will be a tough decision to make! Let’s leave our hosts for a moment and pause for a commercial break and see later what ramen dish will each choose!


(commercial break)


NARRATOR:       
Now we’re back at the show! Let’s see our hosts’ choice of ramen!

LIAN:                    
What’s your popular ramen dish here?

ATTENDANT:     
The all time favourite is the Butao Ramen (Original King) then next is the Kuroo Ramen (Black King).

LIAN:                    
Hmmm, (thinks) what will you order George?

GEORGE:            
Hmmm, I’ll go with the Kuroo Ramen aka Black King (Php 410.00)!

LIAN:    
Okay, I’ll go with the Midorio Ramen aka Green King because I like Pesto. (Php 410.00)!

ATTENDANT:     
Would you like personalize your ramen (smiles while handing down a questionnaire)?

BOTH:                  
What’s this (puzzled)?

NARRATOR:       
You may personalize your ramen based on your taste preference from the richness of the broth to the amount of Garlic and Special Sauce! You may also choose either from Pork Shoulder (thin slice) or Pork Belly (thick slice) for meat and Green Onions or Cabbage for vegetable toppings! For spicy lovers out there, there is also an option to “spice up” your ramen ranging from 1Spicy to 5Spicy!

Having a hard time? There is also “Chef Recommendation” where your ramen will be cooked as intended by the Chef!

LIAN:
I choose the “Chef Recommendation”! For drinks, I choose the House Blend Iced Tea (Php 95.00)!


GEORGE:            
I choose all Normal, Pork Shoulder for meat, Cabbage for vegetable and No Spice. I also choose the House Blend Iced Tea! Let’s add Tamago Egg (Php 50.00) in both our ramen okay?


LIAN:                    
Oh, okay (smiles)!

ATTENDANT:     
Ma’am as per your choice, your ramen will be 1Spicy. Will that be ok?

LIAN:                    
Yes, it’s fine (smiles).

ATTENDANT:     
Thank you! Your orders will come shortly! Please taste our Cold Tea for refreshments (smiles)!

LIAN:                    
(sips) Hmmm, this taste okay. It tastes like “roasted” tea.

GEORGE:            
Yeah, to be more precise—it tastes like diluted roasted coffee. Oh, here’s a pitcher of the Cold Tea!

LIAN:                    
There are also condiments here at the table. Oh, I can name a few here—Whole Garlic, Sesame Seeds, Whole Pepper.... This one looks like a spicy condiment.


GEORGE:            
I like the container of the Cold Tea. It reminds me of water jugs in common “Carinderia” (laughs)!

LIAN:                    
(laughs) You’re right! I Love this setup! All of the condiments—even the chopsticks and Cold Tea is already here at the table! You don’t have to call the attention of the waiters to be able to get hold of these.

GEORGE:            
(nods) Yes, I agree! I also love the chopsticks here! The chopsticks have a grooved tip which helps in holding down the noodles while eating. Did you remember what happened at our previous experience where the noodles slip in the chopsticks?


LIAN:                    
Yes, I remember that (nods). We have no choice but to request for a spoon and fork in order to finish our ramen. Guess we don’t need a spoon and fork here anymore (giggles).

NARRATOR:       
Sorry to interrupt but your ramen is already here!!! (SC: I forgot to say that the House Blend Iced Tea was served first, we were just too busy talking to each other.)

House Blend Iced Tea

BOTH:                  
Time to eat! Ittadakimasu!

GEORGE:            
Let’s taste each other’s ramen broths first.

LIAN:                    
Oh, okay!

BOTH:                  
(takes a bit of each other’s ramen broth then sips)

LIAN:                    
Oh, yours has a “Garlic” flavour!

GEORGE:            
Yours was delicious! I expected that it will taste like a “leafy green vegetable”! (SC: Take note dear reader that Lian ordered a Midorio Ramen which is Green in colour)

LIAN:    
Let me try (sips at her ramen broth). Yes, I agree, it tastes great! It has a “Cheesy” taste to it! I love it!

NARRATOR:       
Lian’s Midorio Ramen “Chef Recommendation” has a top layer of Basil that results in its Green colour, Pork Belly for meat toppings and a flavoursome Tonkotsu Broth below then sprinkled with Parmesan Cheese and Green Onions on top!

Midorio Ramen or Green King!
Lian and her Midorio Ramen!

GEORGE:            
Mine tastes great too! There’s a “Black ball” in the middle and a “jelly-like” ingredient in it! What could this be?

NARRATOR:       
George’s Kuroo Ramen has a top layer of Squid Ink that gives its Black colour and a flavoursome Tonkotsu Broth with Minced Pork Ball in the middle and Garlic relish on top! The other ingredient is called Kikurage which is a type of gourmet mushroom! (SC: Lian’s Midorio Ramen has Kikurage too.)

Kuroo Ramen or Black King!
Kikurage, a type of gourmet mushroom!

NARRATOR:
Be prepared Lian for things to come when you get to the middle!

GEORGE:            
The Pork Shoulder was nice. It was thinly sliced just right!

LIAN:                    
Yes, and it’s easier to chew as well!

GEORGE:            
I have read some ramen reviews of Kichitora of Tokyo—it seems that their experience with the Chasu Pork is not the same as ours. I wonder why? (SC: Till now, I’m still wondering.)

LIAN:    
What do you think this noodle is called? They have an Angel Hair Noodle consistency and thickness.

GEORGE:            
In North Park terms, it’s called Hong Kong-style Noodles.  (thinks) Hmmm, I could say that the thickness is in between Hong Kong-style and Angel Hair Noodles. It’s different though than the ones used by Kichitora of Tokyo where the noodles absorb the broth’s flavour.

LIAN:                    
The noodles here are plentiful.

GEORGE:            
Yes, I do agree. It seems that my bowl is still full of noodles (laughs)!

LIAN:                    
Oh, we still have an egg. Let’s try it! What it’s called again?

GEORGE:            
It’s called Tamago Egg.

NARRATOR:       
Tamago Egg or Ajitsuke Tamago is a soft boiled egg mainly marinated in Soy Sauce and Mirin for several hours which give its exceptional taste!

Tamago Egg or Ajitsuke Egg

LIAN:                    
Oh, that’s why the yolk is still “runny”! I like this (smiles)!

An opened Tamago Egg showing its "runny" yolk!

NARRATOR:       
Oh no, Lian is almost halfway to the bottom of the bowl! What could the surprise be in the bottom?!?! Before that, let’s pause for a commercial break!


(commercial break)


NARRATOR:       
Now we’re back at the show! What could the surprise be?!?! Let’s see!

LIAN:                    
Oh my—my ramen suddenly becomes spicy! So, this is the 1Spicy that the attendant is saying a moment ago to when I chose the “Chef Recommendation” (sips some Iced Tea)!

NARRATOR:       
Each ramen dish has its own distinct “taste levels” leaving diners amazed as they finish their bowl level by level! (SC: Yup, it sure does!)

GEORGE:            
Oh, you’ve almost finished up your Iced Tea—and now you’re resorting to the Cold Tea (laughs)!

LIAN:                    
(laughs) I’m not really a fan of spicy foods. There are times that I eat spicy foods, but I think that 1Spicy is too “hot” for my taste (laughs)!

GEORGE:            
Do you want another glass of Iced Tea (smiles)?

LIAN:                    
No, I’m okay. The Cold Tea will do (smiles).

BOTH:                  
(laughs)

NARRATOR:       
Let’s leave our hosts to enjoy their ramen meal! Oh, people are slowly multiplying! It’s no surprise because the ramen here is really delicious! Let’s pause for a commercial break and ask later the hosts’ final verdict!


(commercial break)



NARRATOR:       
Now we are back to the show! It seems that our hosts are almost finished!

LIAN:                    
Well, are you full? (smiles)

GEORGE:            
Yes, I’m full...with Iced Tea! (laughs)

BOTH:                  
(laughs)

LIAN:                    
You weren’t able to finish the whole broth?

GEORGE:            
Yes. To my surprise, I feel that I’m already full (smile)!

NARRATOR:       
Please be reminded guys that our airtime is almost up! I hope that you will wrap-up the show by now!

BOTH:                  
Oh, yes we do (smiles)!



GEORGE:            
Ladies first! Why don’t you start Lian (smiles)!

LIAN:                    
Thank you very much George! This was a very fun dining experience! I love the overall ambiance of Ramen Nagi! I also love the ease of access of the condiments, chopsticks and Cold Tea! Though the ramen that I chose became too spicy for my taste in the middle, I still love the overall flavour of the dish—and its Green colour too (smiles)!


How about you George (smiles)?

GEORGE:            
I agree with you! I love the authentic “Japanese” ambiance and feel of the dining area!

LIAN:                    
Feels like you’re eating somewhere in Japan (smiles)!

GEORGE:            
Yes!  I also love the Cold Tea container and the “grooved tip” chopsticks! The Kuroo Ramen’s Garlic taste and Minced Pork Ball was the best parts of this ramen dish (smiles)!

NARRATOR:       
And let’s not forget the option to personalize your ramen to suit your taste buds—and also the distinct “taste levels” one can experience while eating!

BOTH:                  
Yes, we do Narrator (gleeful smile)!

(outside...)

GEORGE:            
How about that, we’re done! I believe that this is the Top 1 Ramen House last 2013. It means that we can finish the whole show right now (laughs)!

LIAN:                    
Oh, is that so (laughs)!

NARRATOR:       
Oh no, it’s not yet over! Remember, you still have eight ramen houses to go!

GEORGE:            
Of course it’s not yet over silly (laughs)!

LIAN:                    
Please join us again on another episode of...

BOTH:                  
Ramen in Focus! Bye bye!

~END~


That‘s the end of the plot! I hope you like this method of presentation!

Here’s what we have to say on the Ramen Nagi Experience based on our own words...


Lian’s Verdict
Seeing as it is just my second time to eat ramen in my whole life, I don’t think I can be the best judge in the ramen region. I can only compare Ramen Nagi against Kichitora of Tokyo where I tasted ramen for the first time.

First off, the restaurant is located in SM Aura Premier so expectations are really high. High in the sense that you’d think you’d have to get dressed for the occasion if you are going to eat in that really posh mall. True enough, the mall is definitely high-end, but the restaurant itself has that homey feel like eating in an authentic ramen house. I felt really comfortable and felt like I was in Japan.

What I like best is that all condiments were already provided for each table. Chopsticks, tissues, toothpicks, chilli powder, house tea, and various sauces were within easy reach. There’s even Garlic and a Garlic Press so you can squash it and get all the juice you want to add to your ramen! That set up is actually amazing; you don’t need to call on the waiter every time you need something. What you need is already there in front of you.

For the food, I noticed that Kichitora has more variety, but it seemed like the difference was only in the meat or in some of the ingredients. As for Ramen Nagi however, options may be few but each was really unique that I had a hard time whether to choose their signature bestseller dish or go for a different flavour this time. I ended up ordering the Green King since I really love Pesto. It tasted like pasta and soup rolled into one. It was absolutely divine! I also had a taste of George’s order, and it was also delish. It was garlicky and surprisingly appetizing despite the colour. I was expecting it to taste like Squid or something seafood-ish but it wasn’t.

Another innovation that I believe makes this restaurant unique is how you can customize your order. You can go for chef’s recommendation or choose each ingredient as you please. Really innovative.

Over-all, I can see how Ramen Nagi fared number one on Anton Diaz’s list. This is my favourite so far, I am hoping to go back and taste the other ramen choices. Hands down, Ramen Nagi wins over Kichitora. Try dining there and see for yourself why herds of ramen-loving folks flock to this awesome ramen house!

George’s Verdict
Ramen Nagi sure does push many buttons in me in terms of overall ambiance and of course, their selection of ramen dishes! First impressions of the dining area left me speechless because it was perfectly implemented! The simple combination of Wood element and Red colour scheme sure works great! The staffs are cheerful and always ready to take your orders and service is pretty quick. The vast array of condiments was wonderful, making every ramen dish more flavoursome. I really do love the grooved-tip chopsticks that they have!
The ramen dish of my choice which is Kuroo Ramen was very (very) delicious! The combined flavours though diverse complemented each other and the flavoursome Tonkotsu Broth! I bet that all of their ramen dishes are delicious in their own way though I would shy away with Akao Ramen (or Red King)—I think you know why. I would recommend choosing Rich for Richness of Taste and Heavy for both Garlic and Special Sauce options to attain the ramen dish’ full taste potential! The House Blend Iced Tea was okay for me—a tad of sweetness will do for me cause as I’m a “sweet tooth” person!
For me, Ramen Nagi’s wonderful and delicious dining experience is sure hard to beat! I would absolutely recommend it to all foodies and first-time ramen eaters out there! If you want a “one time big time” ramen experience, go instantly for Ramen Nagi! If you want a long-term ramen experience, place Ramen Nagi last on your list!


Credits
I would like to express my appreciation to all the Ramen Nagi staff for their warm welcome, quick service and for allowing us to take several pictures! I would also like to thank my very good friend Lian for accompanying me in this ramen house review and for giving honest and witty comments!

Thanks Lian!

Background music courtesy of João Donato and Sonny Rollins! Please support their music by buying their original album at your nearest music bar!



Please look forward to another ramen review this coming April (hopefully as always)! Ikimashou!

No comments:

Post a Comment