Saturday, March 29, 2014

Store in Focus: Aquaventure Whitetip Dive Supply

Introduction
It’s summer time again and what a good way to enjoy this season is to go to the beach! Speaking of beach-hopping and stuff, one things comes to my mind—snorkeling.

This is what my officemates and I did last year (though not during the summer season). Since the water is fairly shallow, I tried to swim for the first time with the aid of a glide mask, snorkel and fins thanks to our officemate who brought lots of it for us to use (and exploit). It was a fun experience since I was able to swim (and not think of drowning—lol) besides the stingy jellyfish that roam around. The ratio of gear-to-person is not equal though so we have to share which shortens the “fun” from time to time. That’s the reason I decided to equip myself with a complete snorkeling set to fully enjoy both swimming (on shallow waters of course) and snorkeling!
After some research on the internet, I discovered this place...

Aquaventure Whitetip Dive Supply Makati Branch

Store Review
Aquaventure Whitetip Dive Supply imports and wholesales (the receipt says so) mainly scuba diving equipment and some basic snorkeling products—single purchase and bulk orders can be made. They have six branches namely: Makati, Ermita, Mactan, Cebu, Puerto Galera and Boracay branch. Their Makati branch is located at Unit 101-102 Metropolitan Terraces Condominium, Sacred Heart corner Kamagong Street, San Antonio Village, Makati City. They also have a product pricelist (in US Dollars) on their website which I believe is updated on a monthly basis.
After a thorough scan of their merchandise (and the price too) thru the internet, I decided to go for a visit!
As you enter the shop, you will first see scuba diving gear and on the far right are their snorkeling products. For me, it was a wonderful experience to see such “new unfamiliar stuff” (for a person who never tried scuba diving yet). I was able to easily find the goods that I wanted to buy since the store is quite small. The shop attendees are accommodating and were able to help me decide on what fins to get as well. I was only supposed to purchase a glide mask and snorkel but what the heck, I still have extra cash left so I go for it.
So, what did I buy for myself? Here they are...
But before that, take note that at the time of my purchase their US Dollar to Philippine Peso
exchange rate is US$ 1.00 = Php 46.01.

Aqua Lung Sport Acapulco Silicone mask, Black
(the brand's basic glide mask) - US$ 16.86 (Php 775.73)
Aqua Lung Sport Paradise Dry LX Flex snorkel, Silicone, Black (it features a
dry top valve to avoid entry of water when diving deeper) - US$ 14.81 (Php 681.41)
the dry top valve feature

I asked the store attendant their cheapest glide mask and snorkel set that I saw on their product pricelist. She told me that the said set is typically bought by resorts for their snorkeling rentals and only costs around Php 400.00 (whoa... that’s sick cheap). But she added that it’s made of PVC and not Silicone. It means that it’s not comfortable to use on longer periods. A thing to take note as well dear reader!

Aqua Lung Sport Proflex Adult open heel fin, medium
(for sizes 7-10),Trans Aqua Blue - US$ 20.74 (Php 954.24)

The store attendant initially told me that the fins I bought would set me Php 1,100.00 (so I never bothered converting the price to Philippine Peso when I got the receipt). I only discovered that I paid less than expected while doing this blog!

The fins have no carrying case so I bought myself one too (the cheapest one of course—lol)!

Aropec drybag, 12L, Polyester/Transparent Tarpaulin, Black - US$ 11.34 (Php 521.75)

The dry bag as initially told by the store attendant would cost Php 800.00. This means I saved Php 278.25!

Overall, it costs me US$ 63.75 or Php 2,933.13!


Cost Comparison and Conclusion
Did I save money by buying these on this store? Well, let’s compare then. Even before I discovered their website thru the internet, I did canvass first on several familiar sporting shops. My glide mask and snorkel (with dry top valve feature) costs me US$ 31.67 or Php 1,457.14. How about the competition?
  • Mares glide mask, Adult – Php 1,790.00 (Chris Sports)
  • Mares pro glide mask plus basic snorkel set – Php 2,645.00 (Chris Sports)
  • Aqua Lung pro glide mask and snorkel with “dry top valve” set – Php 2,500.00 (Aqatx)
  • Mares glide mask and basic snorkel set with shirt and bag (summer promo, thus limited stocks) – Php 2,290.00 (Chris Sports)
  • Speedo glide mask and basic snorkel set – Php 1,350.00 (Toby’s Sports / Speedo)
  • EZ Life glide mask and basic snorkel set – Php 1,125.00 / 956.25 (15% off summer promo) (Toby’s Sports)
Hmmm, not bad—it just sits in between the price range! Does the added cost of the snorkel’s dry top valve feature reasonable? I think it’s more of one’s necessity and budget.

So, how about the fins? The ones I bought cost me US$ 20.74 or Php 954.24.
  • Mares – about Php 1,500.00 based on the store attendant’s memory (Chris Sports)
  • Speedo – Php 1,388.00 (Toby’s Sports/ Speedo)
  • Saekodive – Php 1,000.00 (Chris Sports)
Not a definitive comparison but based on these, I did save (a bit) of money (thus a small hooray)!

How about the whole set? Everything costs me (again) US$ 63.75 or Php 2,933.13.
  • Aqua Lung – (a bloody whooping) Php 4,300.00 (Aqatx)
  • Mares’ glide mask plus snorkel set summer promo (it comes with a bag) plus fins – Php 3,790.00 (Chris Sports)
  • Speedo – Php 2,488.00 (Speedo)
These values did surprise me (oh really...) since it places again in the middle. Not a bad purchase—neither cheap at the expense of quality nor undue price tag due to its brand name! Would I recommend this store for snorkeling gear? Yes, I do!

So if you are like me who wants a decent snorkeling set (or decided to buy yourself some scuba diving gear), why not try to visit the Aquadventure Whitetip Dive Supply store nearest you! I would suggest checking first their latest product pricelist on the internet and their most recent exchange rate before deciding on what to buy.
Contact Numbers (Makati Branch): 519-8375, 519-8376, 846-8344
Have a happy and memorable summer season dear reader! Ikimashou!

3 comments:

  1. Shark Lens Snorkel Mask is the most innovative and affordable full face snorkel mask a revolutionary Most Affordable Full Face Snorkel.

    Snorkel Mask

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Shark Lens mask is a piece of garbage. Don't waste your money folks. Plastic window scratches easily, way too high air volume, not usable for scuba if you want to progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dear,

    I like Your Blog Very Much..I see Daily Your Blog ,is A Very Useful For me.

    Buy the online latest range of scuba mask & snorkel mask at Buysnorkelmask.com."buy snorkel mask"You can Shop our stylish collection of full face snorkel mask in the UK.

    Visit Now - https://buysnorkelmask.com/

    ReplyDelete